This week we are continuing to look at the offices of the church, specifically deacons.
Read Acts 6:1-7; 1 Timothy 3:8-13.
Questions for Small Groups:
To start your group, have everyone share one way they have seen God at work in their life this week.
1. The word deacon simply means servant. As you think about Acts 6:1-7 in what ways was serving necessary for the church? In what ways is meeting physical needs a spiritual responsibility.
2. Review 1 Timothy 3:8-13. In what way are the qualifications of a deacon to be exhibited by all Christ followers?
3. Pastor Mark said the more you serve the more you learn to rely on God’s grace and thus gain confidence in your faith. Have you experienced this confidence in Christ that comes from serving?
4. Review the Fighter Verse- Matthew 20:26. It shall not be so among you. But whoever would be great among you must be your servant.
In what ways was Christ the ultimate deacon (servant)?
Christ’s Kingdom is an “upside down kingdom.” To be great you must be the least? How did Jesus demonstrate this? How did his death on the cross demonstrate this?
5. Brainstorm with your group how you can encourage the deacons at Grace Baptist Church.
6. Did you know that every member and regular attender of Grace should have a deacon assigned to them for Member Care? Do you know who your deacon is? If you don’t, please contact the church office to find out. If you have not heard from your assigned deacon why not take a minute to reach out to them with an email or phone call to introduce yourself.
Do your children understand the value of service? Do they see you serving others? How do you treat those who serve you in front of your children?
Talk about this week’s fighter verse with your children. Do they have a true gospel centered view of greatness?
How can you as a family serve together this week?
How can you as a family encourage a deacon this week?